Dreamhost VPS Review: If you’re looking for a quality VPS for your website or online software, Dreamhost would probably be the right choice for you. But before we come to a conclusion we must check if it really fits under your requirements and budget. We’ll also check what other alternatives are available in the market. Read this Dreamhost VPS Hosting Review to find out if Dreamhost VPS is right for you.
Dreamhost: Company Background
Dreamhost was founded in 1997 and it is on of the most popular web host in WordPress community. Dreamhost is officially recommended by WordPress for hosting WordPress websites. Currently Dreamhost is offering domain registration, web hosting and cloud services to 4,00,000 websites & 1.5 million sites. They offer 24*7 support via live chat, email and Twitter.
About Dreamhost VPS Hosting Services
When you first look at the Dreamhost VPS Hosting plans, the first thing you’ll notice “They’re quite affordable“. That’s true, Dreamhost VPS plans starts from just $15 per month only. Recently Dreamhost moved their VPS Hosting to SSDs, which means better speed. All of their plans are fully managed and you don’t get full root level access by default. Although you can activate full root level access from your control panel.
Let’s first look at all VPS Hosting plans offered by Dreamhost
Dreamhost VPS Plans Review
Dreamhost offers 4 different VPS Hosting plans. Below is a quick comparison between all 4 plans
As you can see all plans has been created keeping different type of users in mind. If you’re just starting up and want to move from shared hosting to a reliable virtual dedicated server hosting solution then you may start with the 1st plan. As you grow, you can move to any of the bigger plan.
All plans comes with unlimited bandwidth and let you host unlimited domain names under single VPS hosting account. An IPv6 is included with every plan that you can add using you control panel.
Dreamhost commit to provide 100% up time backed with 24*7 Email, Chat & Twitter support. Remember, Dreamhost doesn’t offer phone support for free. If you want to get customer support through phone you can get the same by paying some additional cost.
Let’s look at some of the features of Dreamhost VPS Hosting
- Runs on SSDs: Unlike traditional storage, Dreamhost use SSDs which are 20X faster than SATA Drives. This makes your VPS runs faster compare to a VPS runs of SATA drives.
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS: Dreamhost offers their VPS on Ubuntu OS that comes with Long Term Support. Ubuntu promises five years of security updates, which means you get lesser downtime and higher security.
- Dreamhost In-House Web Based Control Panel: Unlike other popular VPS Hosting Providers, Dreamhost gives you a control panel to manage your VPS that has been developed in-house by Dreamhost team. The control panel let you easily add and manage multiple virtual servers. You can add more RAM to your server and can do many other things.
- Scalable RAM: Dreamhost VPS are scalable. You can increase RAM for 1 GB to 8 GB by clicking a single button available under your control panel.
- IPv6 Support: Dreamhost VPS comes with IPv6 support. you can add an IPv6 to any of your hosted domain using your control panel at no cost.
- Get Root Access If You Need: As I mentioned above Dreamhost VPS doesn’t comes with full root level access, although you can activate full root level access using your control panel.
- Unlimited Bandwidth & Hosted Domain: You can host unlimited domain names on your Virtual Private Server. There is no cap on hosted domain names. Bandwidth is also unlimited under fair usage policy.
Below are some technologies that Dreamhost support on its Virtual Private Server
- Apache 2.2
- Secure Shell (SSH)
- Full Unix Shell
- Unlimited MySQL Databases
- One-Click Application Installer
- Crontab Access
- Subversion Repository (SVN)
- SSL Secure Server
- Password Protection (.htaccess)
- Access to Raw Log Files
- Unlimited Email Accounts
- Unlimited FTP/sFTP Users
Dreamhost VPS Customer Support Review
All VPS Hosting plans offered by Dreamhost are backed up with Dreamhost 24*7 in-house customer support team. You can get the support via live chat, Twitter and email. Although phone support is not available with VPS Hosting plans. If you think you really need phone support, you can get it by paying some additional money.
Apart from the above listed features and benefits, you also get $100 value Google AdWords Credits that you can use to promote your website in Google search.
The Verdict Of Dreamhost VPS Review
We must say Dreamhost VPS is a good option if you’re looking for a reliable Virtual Private Server at an affordable cost. Although The scalability is limited and you can also only scale up to 8 GB of RAM. Overall Dreamhost VPS is a pick from our end. You can also read Bluehost VPS Review & Godaddy VPS Review as an alternative to Dreamhost VPS.